Signs and Symptoms of Mental Illness[/caption]Rarely do severe mental diseases like Schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder develop “out of nowhere.” Before the full development of an illness, it is common for loved ones, caregivers, and professionals to notice subtle shifts or a sense that “something is not quite right” in a person’s thinking, feelings, or behavior. Early intervention can help in a patient’s symptom management.
The following are some signs and symptoms of mental illness according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness:
- Severe mood shifts, such as uncontrollable feelings of euphoria
- Social withdrawal such as avoiding friends
- Sleep and appetite changes
- Multiple physical problems without evident causes (headaches, stomach aches, nonspecific “aches and pains”)
- Lack of understanding of one’s own emotional, behavioral, or character changes
Although the presence of only one or two of these symptoms cannot be used to diagnose a mental disorder, they may suggest the need for examination. For most individuals, obtaining an accurate behavioral health diagnosis is the first step toward recovery.
After the diagnosis, get access to the support you need from an outpatient mental health clinic in Baltimore, Maryland, when you visit A&E Healthcare Services, Inc.
Let our psychiatric rehabilitation in Maryland help you develop a treatment plan to improve your daily lifestyle.